Sunday, April 17, 2011

THE TAO OF POOH by Benjamin Hoff

I thought the book was very cute and I was able to learn a lot from reading it. I love Winnie the Pooh so it made it that much enjoyable to read because they used the characters in the book. Some of the other books this semester has been very dry and I would lose focus will reading them but not with this book. What I found to be very interesting in the book was the chapter called Cottleston Pie. On page 39, it said “a fly cant bird, but a bird can fly” which they said meant that “Things Are as They Are.” You cannot change things so stop trying to make something that does not work at all, work.  Everything in this world has its own purpose. Another thing I found very interesting is when the said that “when you know and respect your own Inner Nature, you will know where you belong and where you DON’T belong. That touch very close to home for me because I been dealing with an issue this past week and it help me to realize that I can not change what happen nor can I make something work if it is not meant to be.  
The bisy backsons chapter was a very insightful chapter. I feel that in America we are always constantly doing something, out and about trying to reach every goal possible just to reach the “American Dream.” Hip hop mogul Diddy always proclaims that, “I’ll sleep when I die.” Yea that is nice in all but we just need to learn to relax and appreciate life now because once it is gone, it is gone forever.  I have a bad case of the bisy backsons as well. I am constantly on the go because of school and work that sometimes I do not have time to eat, barely get any sleep or I will go for weeks without seeing my friends. I am always looking at my watch and stressing about how much time I will have to complete everything I need to get done for that day. I decided after reading this chapter that I am going to try to practice just relaxing and stop stressing TIME!
I think that Taoism can be a solution to the problem that a lot of Americans have which is being so “BUSY.” In order for us to fix the problem we need to FIND time or at least MAKE time to relax and enjoy life. My plan is to start giving myself at least two hours a day of doing something that I enjoy so I can think and clear my mind and just relax

5 comments:

  1. I think its awesome that after reading this book your really positive about changing your life. I think that you definitely should if you really do stress and worry all the time about time=). Its never good to do that and once you realize its all how you take situations you will never be stressed again! I've changed myself a lot in the past year and I hardly ever get stressed out because its really not worth it!! You get the same outcome, well for most people at least. Good Luck with trying to relax more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the quote you used in the first paragraph in regards to "things are the way they are." I think that in today's society, especially in America people are always trying to give an explanation for something, instead of leaving it alone and accepting the fact that somethings you just can not explain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ebony,

    I admire your claim and desire to schedule 2 hrs/day for yourself to do whatever it is that your heart desires. I think that will lead to an increase in happiness a well as a decrease in stress. I really do hope it works out. Even if 2 hours doesn't work out, at least 30 minutes a day, every day, can be enough to hopefully rejuvenate ourselves and connect with our inner Tao.

    I found your passage about realizing "Things are as they are" very interesting. I certainly agree with both your comments as well as the message from the book. However, the question I struggle with is how much of a laissez -fare type stance do we take as humans in terms of accepting what is outside of us? Basically, how much 'interference' is considered normal for day-to-day functioning- how much can we ignore and put aside as 'things are as they are' and how much should we interfere and change because it is morally the right thing to do? Just an afterthought...

    -Kunal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your outlook on giving yourself at least two hours a day and make yourself relax or do something you enjoy. I think it's really bad that in todays society, we have to MAKE ourselves enjoy life, have some fun, and relax. It's so hard to find time for that anymore, especially with being in school and most of us working too. We should all strive to 'make' ourselves relax and do something we enjoy in order to appreciate what life has given us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have a very busy schedule. I think that reserving some time to yourself is a good idea and it's something that I'm also going to consider to keep from being so stressed. Great post!

    ReplyDelete