Sunday, April 24, 2011

Shinto Blog

I decided that I was going to watch “The Peach Orchard.” I chose this video because I thought it had the best title out of all the other options. I thought that the video was very colorful and would probably be a very good movie to watch if I had time to watch the whole thing. What I like also about this movie clip was the beautiful music that was being played when then peach orchard started to bloom. After watching the video I still cannot figure out why he was asking repeatedly about one of the six little girls that apparently went missing. I am guessing that it was some magical or spiritual “whatever” that was suppose to lead him to outside.
How does this movie clip related to what I learn in class and from reading the Shinto slides is a very hard question to answer. I am going to be honest and say maybe the concept and how it relates flow over my head because I do not understand how it relates at all.
While reading the slides it did mention that they are very big on festivals. The people on the hill told the little boy that they will not return back to his house because his family cut down the peach orchard trees. The trees are used to celebrate the arrival on “Doll Day.” The trees are used for personification; the people on the hill talking to the little boy represent the spirit of the trees and the life of the blossom. What happen after the people told the little boy about not coming back I think is the cutest thing ever. He starts to cry and they ask him, “Why are you crying because you like peaches?” Then the little boy replied, “No, because peaches can be bought but what you cannot buy is a whole orchard in bloom.” After the little boy said that, they all decided that he deserves to see the peach orchard trees bloom once more and so they started perform their music and the trees reappeared. I thought that piece was the best part in the whole movie clip.

3 comments:

  1. I also watched and wrote about the Peach Orchard clips. What I got out of it that related to Shinto is that it emphasizes the importance of myth and kami (deities). The spirits the little boy saw are the deities who came to punish the little boy because his family cut down all the orchard trees. The kami believe that spirituality is vital and that humanity, nature, and the spirits/gods intertwine with one another. I think that when the little boy sees one last tree and then it disappears, this symbolizes how the boy has lost touch with nature and he had an epiphany of what happened to him. During this is when he realizes the importance of nature. This is just what I thought was the meaning of the clips. I thought the colors and music were pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the music and thought the part with the little boy crying was cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little boy kept asking where the sixth girl went because he remembered seeing six but there were only five. The sixth girl was the kami and she led him to the peach orchard. Also, the clapping and blowing that they did to bring the orchard back is how they communicate with the kami.

    ReplyDelete