Sunday, February 13, 2011

WORLDLY SUCCESS AND LIBERATION

When comparing worldly success (aim two) and liberation (aim four), I would have to say that worldly success is definitely more prevalent. In our society today money and fame is very glorified. Everyone is trying to make it “big” and be that super star. My first song I chose was 90210 by Wale. The opening of the song is very powerful and in my opinion it is demonstrate how some people long for this worldly success and how far they are willing to go. It states,  “And she throws up whatever she eats,  She leave the bathroom with a nose bleed, Regular girl, Celebrity dreams ,She is...90210 She live her whole life like TV And she would do anything for everything, Regular girl, Celebrity dreams, She is...90210.” Liberation songs are not as popular as singing about getting money, cars, clothes, and the fame but they can have the same powerful effect.  One song that I chosen that I feel is very uplifting and liberating was a song by Christina Aguilera called fighter. The song is talking finding strength after being in a relationship that was not positive. My favorite part in the song is when she states, “Cause if it wasn't for all, That you tried to do, I wouldn't know just how capable I am to pull through, So I wanna say thank you.” That to me is a great example of liberation.
While doing this assignment I was not surprised by much of anything. I think that our culture way of thinking is kind of jacked up. Instead of singing about money, cars, clothes, and getting pleasure, like I discussed in my last blog about pleasure (aim one), I think our culture needs to start singing songs that uplift people, our community, and this world. People always hollering that we need change and that children now and days are getting out of hand, well look at the people who is influencing them. We are sitting here allowing this to be glorified instead of positive things that can help our community and make a difference. I think that is the difference between our culture and Hinduism understanding of the four aims.

10 comments:

  1. I think you make a very good point about the importance we not put on money and fame. In reality, these things do not bring happiness. In fact, they often bring the opposite. It is sad that we, as a society, are exposing our children to the messages that money will fix all of their problems. I agree with you that we should be sending another message. I think the songs you chose do a great job of explaining the aims in popular culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you last paragraph. Pop culture has so much influence on people that in someways they may be acting out because of the things they see and hear. As much as it isn't the celebrity (or whoever) who is raising someone's child they should take into account the impact they are making. I feel that is someone wants to be famous they have to take on that responsibility. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your repsonse to the two aims for this week. I think its something how fame, power and status are symbolized as "success" instead of going out and making a difference, which in my opinion makes a person successful. In your 2nd paragraph, when you talked about the children of today,it made me think about children that I work with for my job and how they come to school and pretend to be rappers, because in their eyes rappers are their role models instead of people who have a positive impact on their community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. I totally agree. We do need songs that uplift people and the community. Songs these days are all about "getting mine", but in some ways we allow this to happen because this is the music that sells. Some rappers carry good messages, but their music does not sell as well as Lil Wayne and mainstream rappers that glorify the lifestyle. It shows what our culture really cares about, the money, cars etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you completely about the people that we are allowing to influence the younger generation and it is only getting worse. We should be focusing on more important goals and not so much about sex, drugs, and crime. Funny thing is, this is were success and money and pleasure mean the exact same to me. The only reason why songs are still saying the same things over and over by different artists is due to the fact that we're listening more and more to these types of songs. In return, this is allowing these people to continue obtaining higher fame, success, wealth, and pleasure. It is just a cycle that at some point, we need to break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that success can be represented as becoming rich or famous, but I don't think that it is limited to that or even that it is the most prominent interpretation in American pop culture. Many songs I found included things you can't control and self-improvement as a representation of success. I also have to disagree with Jessies comment about how the celebrities should consider the "impact" that they are making. If someone allows themselves to be negatively influenced by a celebrity; then they are probably stupid in the first place. The celeb shouldn't be put down because of their art expression. The only exception would be religion ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. but I feel like the quest for liberation in most religions is not evident. As an American culture, most o us never acknowledge the fact that success is a fleeting moment, like in Hinduism. American society's ultimate goal is to realize this quest, rather than letting it be a cross-road to an eternal afterlife.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you in that our society tends to put worldly success at the top. Everyone wants to make it big and make it to that celebrity status. Also, I feel as if there are a lot of liberation songs out there too they are just viewed differently than the Hindu view. Liberation songs I feel like have to do with anything from feeling free, living life for yourself,...etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with your last paragraph. Popular music can have a profound effect on public opinion, so it's important that music is uplifting. I also agree with Juhl that liberation songs were out there, but I like that you tried to find ones related to the Hindu aim of liberation, and not so much about the literal idea of liberation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The song 90210 you chose helps to demostrate the influence that media has and can have on success. It is ideal for some women to be really small, and so they include that in their plans to become "successful". I also agree that people think that money is the key to success, which is not always the case.

    ReplyDelete